Major Events Advisory Committee
Monday, 05 February 2018
A meeting of the Major Events Advisory Committee will be held at 5.00pm on Monday, 5 February 2018 in the River Room, Georges River Civic Centre, corner Dora and MacMahon Streets for the consideration of the business available on Council’s website at http://www.georgesriver.nsw.gov.au/Council/Council-Meetings.
Director Community and Culture
· Acknowledgement of Country
· Disclosures of Interest
· Public Addresses to the Meeting
· Minutes of Previous Meetings
· Reports to the Committee
Monday, 05 February 2018
MAJ003-18 Lunar New Year Festival 2018 - Event Planning Updates
(Report by Manager Communications, Customer Service and Events)............... 2
Author: Manager Communications, Customer Service and Events and Events Officer
Directorate: Community and Culture
Matter Type: Council Reports
(a) That the Georges River Council Major Events Advisory Committee (MEAC) receives and
notes this report which
provides event planning updates for Lunar New Year Festival 2018
(b) That the MEAC receives and notes the budget update for this festival.
1. This report provides the MEAC with event planning updates for the major Council event: Lunar New Year Festival 2018.
2. A verbal update will be provided to the MEAC on the following elements of the Lunar New
Year Festival 2018:
a. Festival official program
b. Street parade of festival floats
c. Guest RSVPs
d. Any queries from the MEAC members
New Year Festival event budget for 2017/18 is as follows:
4. Details of the Lunar New Year Festival updated event costs for 2017/18 is as follows:
TOTAL UPDATED INCOME
· Staff and administration
· Production and operations
· Entertainment and activities
· Traffic management
TOTAL UPDATED EXPENSES
TOTAL UPDATED NET COST
5. The enhancements to the 2018 Lunar New Year Festival have resulted in an increased net
cost to the event by $66,000. Enhancements have included:
1) the extension of the festival site area by 250m resulting in an increase from 56
market stalls in 2017 to 90 market stalls in 2018,
2) increased quality of entertainment including professional performers,
3) the addition of a second kids amusement rides area and
4) the introduction of custom-made, vibrant Lunar New Year festival floats for the street parade.
6. To partially fund the cost of this enhanced event, a flat rate of $5 per wristband will be
charged for all amusement rides. Event attendees will have access to unlimited number of
rides for the reasonable cost of $5 per person (all ages).
7. Additional funds are required to the value of $66,000 for the festival. Council officers are
investigating alternative funding sources from other operational budgets.
1. Additional funds required to the value of $66,000.
Community engagement will be conducted via the following channels:
(a) Event notification letters will be hand delivered to directly affected businesses at least
two weeks prior to the event date, as part of Council’s usual event management
(b) Press releases
(c) Advertisements across both Chinese Media and The Leader newspaper (pre-event and
(d) Social media postings on Georges River Council’s Facebook page and Twitter
(e) Council’s website
(f) Council’s promotional flags in Hurstville and Kogarah CBDs