Agenda


Community and Culture Committee

 

Monday, 03 December 2018

6.00pm

 

Georges River Civic Centre

Hurstville

 

 

 

 


Georges River Council –       Community and Culture -  Monday, 3 December 2018                                                     Page 2

 

          Community and Culture

ORDER OF BUSINESS

 

1.      Acknowledgement of Country

2.      Apologies

3.      Disclosures of Interest

4.      Public Addresses to the Meeting

5.      Confirmation of Minutes of Previous Meeting

MINUTES: Community and Culture - 12 November 2018

6.      Committee Reports

COM053-18       Ban on Single-use Plastic Bags and Drinking Straws from Council Events

(Report by Coordinator, Events and Sponsorship).................................................. 3

COM054-18       Public Requests to Name/Rename Parks, Roads, Places, Laneways, Suburb, Rivulet and an Island

(Report by Coordinator, Community Development)................................................. 7

COM055-18       Sponsorship and Donation Requests

(Report by Coordinator, Events and Sponsorship)................................................ 16

COM056-18       Construction of a Library Media Lab at Hurstville Library

(Report by Manager Library Services)...................................................................... 19   

 

 


Georges River Council –       Community and Culture -  Monday, 3 December 2018                                                     Page 3

Committee Reports

Item:                   COM053-18       Ban on Single-use Plastic Bags and Drinking Straws from Council Events 

Author:              Coordinator, Events and Sponsorship, Acting Coordinator Communications  and Coordinator,  Environmental, Sustainability and Waste

Directorate:      Community and Culture

Matter Type:     Committee Reports

 

 

 

Recommendation

(a) That the progress to date in reducing the use of single-use plastic bags and drinking straws be noted.

 

(b) That Council note the cost implications, risks and processes that would be required to further integrate sustainable event practices.

 

 

Executive Summary

1.      Following the Council resolution to ban single-use plastic carry bags and straws at Council-owned venues subsequent to the 23 July 2018 meeting, Council resolved that the General Manager prepare a report that investigates Council’s legal and contractual obligations in relation to the proposed ban.  This was to include background research, develop timeframes and identify the financial impacts of the further rollout at Council-owned and operated venues of Council’s single-use plastics ban where feasible.

2.     Events, Community Centres, Halls, Libraries, Museum & Gallery and Child Care Centres have been reducing single use plastics prior to and since the ban.

 

3.     The risk implications for expanding the single-use plastics ban within Council venues has been investigated; an implication may be a reduction in bookings.  There would be impacts and cost implications for catering contractors at Jubilee Stadium.

 

4.     Research conducted of relevant sustainable models has identified that the recommendation of this report is a consistent approach adopted within the industry.

 

5.     Sustainable Event Management Guidelines and the development and implementation of an education program will further reduce harm to the environment and fauna caused by single-use plastics, namely plastic bags and drinking straws.

 

Background

6.        At the 23 July 2018 Council Meeting, it was resolved to ban single-use plastic carry bags and plastic straws at Council-owned properties and events. The resolution also included a report  to Council to address:

 

i.     Relevant models or examples of venues and facilities where a ban on plastics is in place.

ii.    The range and type of plastic bans that could be implemented.               

iii.   The implications for the delivery of services within Council-run facilities such as child care centres and library services.

iv.   The implications for lessees/hirers of Council venues, including any legal and/or contractual implications for Council or external vendors/third party providers at Council premium facilities.

v.    The implications for storage of bulk bought items.

vi.   The feasibility of developing a Sustainable Event Management Guideline in line with the Georges River Council Events Strategy.

vii. The potential development of an education program led by Council’s Environmental Sustainability and Waste team in key community languages.

viii. The financial implications of the single-use plastics ban and education program.

 

Council’s actions to date

7.        Prior to and since the ban, Georges River Council has been reducing single-use plastics across our organisation and at major events as follows:

Events, Community Centres and Halls:

·    Single-use plastic bags and straws removed from stores/stalls.

·    Terms and conditions for major Council events have been updated to stipulate the ban on all single-use plastic bags and straws.

·    All waste must be removed from Council community centres and halls by hirers.

Libraries

·    No provision of plastic bags.

·    Paper straws replace plastic straws for all craft activities.

Museum & Gallery

·   Use only crockery and cutlery (no plastic utensils or plates).

·   No provision of plastic bags.

Childcare Centres

·   All centres have taken steps to minimise use of single-use plastics.

·   Families/carers encouraged to send lunches in reusable containers.

 

Sustainable Event Risk Implications

8.        Council may experience a potential reduction in bookings of Council owned venues for private functions due to the ban on single-use plastics. Potential customers may feel implementing the single-use plastics ban for their private functions will be onerous and more costly.

9.        There are impacts and cost implications for the catering contractors at Jubilee Stadium. Plastic cups are currently required for licensing compliance within the seating bowl in public bars. Bottled soft drinks are currently packaged in single-use plastics. The catering contractors at Jubilee Stadium are reviewing their use of single-use plastics across all their large stadium contracts, and will explore the cost of providing compostable cups whilst meeting licensing standards.

 

10.     Additionally more storage space for bulk-bought items will be required. Currently there are a number of storage sites throughout Council’s venues managed independently by relevant teams. 

Industry Research – relevant sustainable models and examples

 

11.     The following table outlines the relevant models and examples of bans implemented in our industry:

Council

Ban (Y/N)

Range and Type

Period

Comments

Inner West Council

Yes

Plastic bags and

plastic straws

6 years +

Customers have embraced paper, reusable or non-provision of bags. Alternatives to plastic straws have been reported by stallholders as expensive, and are now only provided to customers upon request.

Northern Beaches Council

Yes

Single-use plastics

10 years

Council has imposed a strict waste management requirement relating to single-use plastics for the past 10 years. The Waste Minimisation at Functions and Events Policy 2017 outlines waste avoidance principles and increased waste recovery for all public events held on council property.

Canterbury Bankstown City  Council

Yes

Plastic cups,

plastic bags and plastic straws

 

July 2018

Council’s ban covers all facilities and events.

Randwick City Council

Yes

Plastic bags, drink bottles and plastic straws

July 2018

The ban covers Council’s operations and events. From 1 January 2019, the ban will also include community supported events, festivals and major activities.

Blacktown Council

Yes

Plastic bags, balloons and

plastic straws

July 2018

Council insists on biodegradable packaging for food at its events at no cost to Council. Stallholders bear the costs of these stipulations.

Bayside Council

No

N/A

N/A

No implementation of single-use plastics ban.

Sutherland Shire Council

No

N/A

N/A

No implementation of single-use plastics ban.

 

Next Steps for Implementation

12.     Develop Sustainable Event Management Guidelines for all Council events to include no single-use plastics, promotion of recyclable and compostable food containers.

13.     On the implementation of the guidelines, a grace period of 12 months of transition will be implemented before a preference system for accepting stallholders for Council is introduced.

14.     Council will develop and implement an education program to assist stallholders to transition from single-use plastics.

15.     Council will investigate the costs of providing a soft plastics recycling collection across Council to deal with bubble-wrap and shrink-wrap around items across the whole of Council.

 

Financial implications

16.     Sufficient funds exist to enable allocation of $10,000 for an education program from within the existing operational waste budget.

17.     $15,000 would be required for the purchase of sustainability packs for internal meetings and this would be sourced from within the existing budget for Education, Minimisation and Sustainability, 40.2054.1001.62412.

18.     Financial implications of soft plastics recycling is to be determined pending the viability of procuring this equipment.

 

File Reference

17/1831 and D18/216981

 

 

 

  


Georges River Council –       Community and Culture -  Monday, 3 December 2018                                                     Page 7

Item:                   COM054-18       Public Requests to Name/Rename Parks, Roads, Places, Laneways, Suburb, Rivulet and an Island  

Author:              Coordinator, Community Development

Directorate:      Community and Culture

Matter Type:     Committee Reports

 

 

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as Shunde Gardens on South Street, Kogarah as Edith Blake Reserve be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(b)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as Gloucester Road Reserve in Beverly Hills to Merv Lynch Reserve be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(c)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as Edgbaston Road Reserve in Beverly Hills to Cable Reserve be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(d)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as River Road Reserve No.1 in Oatley to Boorea Reserve be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(e)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed park adjoining Anglo Square in Carlton to Nethery Park be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(f)      That the proposal to name the currently unnamed lane between Hardwicke Street and Littleton Street in Riverwood as Lauricella Lane be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(g)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed lane between Edgbaston Road and Stoney Creek Road in Beverly Hills as Evans Lane be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(h)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed lane between King Georges Road and Hampden Street in Beverly Hills as St James Lane be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(i)      That the proposal to name the currently unnamed lane between Hampden Street and Melvin Street in Beverly Hills as Horace Lane be endorsed to be placed on public exhibition in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(j)      That the proposal to divide and define Mortdale Heights as a distinct suburb from Mortdale be declined, in accordance with section 5a(i) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(k)     That the proposal to name the currently unnamed rivulet in Peakhurst, Pename Rivulet be declined, in accordance with section 4a(i) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(l)      That the proposal to name the currently unnamed island in Lugarno, Future Island be declined, in accordance with section 4a(ii) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy;

(m)    That following public exhibition, final approval be sought from the Geographical Names Board, and a further report be submitted to Council.

 

 

Executive Summary

1.      Following the amalgamation of the former Kogarah and Hurstville City Councils, Council received several requests to name or re-name places within the Local Government Area. These requests were deferred until the development and implementation of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy.

2.      The Georges River Council Place Naming Policy was adopted by Council on 24 September 2018 (COM034-18). The Policy establishes the rules and priorities under which Council will consider applications to name or rename roads, reserves, and other Council owned features within the local government area.

 

Road Reserves and Parks

3.      Edith Blake Reserve - Council received one request to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as Shunde Gardens on South Street, Kogarah as Edith Blake Reserve, in honour of World War I nurse Edith Blake. This request is recommended.

4.      Cable Reserve - Council received one request to name the road reserve informally known as Edgbaston Road Reserve in Beverly Hills to Cable Reserve, in honour of Alderman Horace Cable and Alderman Sylvia Cable, the first husband and wife Aldermen for Hurstville Council. This request is recommended.

5.      Merv Lynch Reserve - Council received one request to name the road reserve informally known as Gloucester Road Reserve in Beverly Hills to Merv Lynch Reserve, in honour of former Hurstville Councillor Mervyn (Merv) Lynch OAM. This request is recommended.

6.      Boorea Reserve - Council received one request to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as River Road Reserve No.1 in Oatley as Boorea Reserve. This request is recommended.

7.      Nethery Park - Council received one request to name the currently unnamed Park adjoining Anglo Square, Carlton as Nethery Park acknowledging the Nethery family’s long and continuous presence at Anglo Square since 1917. This request is recommended.

Laneways

8.      Lauricella Lane - Council received one request to name the currently unnamed lane in Riverwood (between Hardwicke Street and Littleton Street) as Lauricella Lane, acknowledging the Lauricella family’s long presence in the area since 1938. This request is recommended.

9.      Three recommendations have been put forward by Council staff to name currently unnamed lanes in Beverly Hills to resolve safety concerns with traffic congestion and law enforcement. The names recommended are

·    St James Lane (between King Georges Road and Hampden Street);

·    Evans Lane (between Edgbaston Road and Stoney Creek Road); and

·    Horace Lane (between Hampden Street and Melvin Street). These requests are recommended.

 

Geographical features

10.    Mortdale Heights - Council received one request to divide and define Mortdale Heights from Mortdale as a stand-alone suburb. This request is not recommended in accordance with section 5a(i) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy, that requests to re-name roads, reserves, buildings, places or geographical features will generally not be accepted.

11.    Pename Rivulet - Council received one request to name the currently unnamed rivulet in Peakhurst as Pename Rivulet. This request is not recommended in accordance with section 4a(i) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy, that Council will consider naming requests that are appropriate to the Georges River Local Government Area, and the application did not provide sufficient supporting evidence to substantiate the naming request.

12.    Future Island - Council received one request to name the currently unnamed island adjacent to Lugarno as Future Island. This request is not recommended in accordance with section 4a(ii) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy, and pursuant to advice received from the Geographical Names Board ‘The Board encourages Aboriginal and Multicultural names for any feature that is not currently named’.  

13.    Management of the above requests will be in accordance with the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy guidelines and consistent with the guidelines of the NSW Geographical Names Board. 

 

Background

14.    Following the amalgamation of the former Kogarah and Hurstville City Councils, Council received several requests to name or re-name places within the Local Government Area. These requests were deferred until the development and implementation of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy.

15.    The Georges River Council Place Naming Policy was adopted by Council on 24 September 2018 (COM034-18). The Policy establishes the rules and priorities under which Council will consider applications to name or rename roads, reserves, and other Council owned features within the local government area.

16.    The Policy is intended to facilitate consistent responses to naming and renaming applications, in accordance with the policies and guiding principles of the Geographical Names Board of NSW.

17.    The Policy provides that in selecting appropriate names, Council will endeavour to create a sense of place and strive to honour and observe the local character of the relevant area. Council will also aim to honour heritage and historical connections of select names consistent with any identified historic naming trends in the local area. The guiding principles of the Place Naming Policy stipulate that applications must be appropriate and significant to the Georges River Local Government Area. Names will be selected that represent the diverse history of the region including:

·        Aboriginal history, heritage and culture;

·        Early settlers;

·        Historically significant people, activities and industries; and

·        Gender diversity.

 

18.    Applications to re-name already named items will generally not be accepted, and the onus will be placed on the applicant to demonstrate the inappropriateness of the existing name, as well as community support for the new name.


Road Reserves and Parks

19.    Edith Blake Reserve, Kogarah - A request was received from Ms Gill Whan, Secretary of Kogarah Historical Society Inc. (KHS) who made representation on behalf of KHS members on 21 February 2018 to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as Shunde Gardens on South Street Reserve in honour of local World War I nurse Edith Blake for her contribution to the medical profession.

20.    Cable Reserve and Merv Lynch Reserve, Beverly Hills - Two requests were received from Mr Brian Shaw, President of St George Regional Heritage Society (SGRHS) who made representation on behalf of SGRHS members on 6 March 2018. The requests were to name the currently unnamed road reserves informally known as both Edgbaston Reserve and Gloucester Road Reserve. The basis of naming Edgbaston Reserve is after Aldermen Horace and Sylvia Cable. Mr and Mrs Cable were the first husband and wife Aldermen for Hurstville Council. Their contribution was evident and acknowledged in the local community. The basis to name Gloucester Road Reserve is in honour of Mervyn (Merv) Lynch OAM, who was a former Councillor and had served for many years on Hurstville Council.

 


 

Cable Reserve

Merv Lynch Reserve

 

21.    Boorea Reserve, Oatley - A request was received from Ms Elizabeth Cameron, Secretary, Oatley Flora and Fauna Conservation Society Inc. who made representation on 2 November 2017 to name the currently unnamed road reserve informally known as River Road Reserve No.1 as Boorea Reserve ‘in recognition of the Turpentines (Syncarpia glomulifera) that grow at the location and belong to the Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest Endangered Ecological Community’.

 

 

 

Boorea Reserve

 

22.    Nethery Park, Carlton - A request was received from Ms Elizabeth Rowe (nee Nethery) of Blaxland NSW who made representation on 11 February 2017 to name the currently unnamed Park adjoining Anglo Square, Carlton as Nethery Park, acknowledging the Nethery family’s long and continuous presence at Anglo Square and the adjacent parkland since 1917.

 


Laneways

23.    Lauricella Lane, Riverwood - A request was received from Ms Carol Lauricella of Riverwood who made representation on 16 January 2017 to name the currently unnamed lane in Riverwood (between Hardwicke Street and Littleton Street) as Lauricella Lane acknowledging the Lauricella family’s long presence in the area since 1938. Previous representation was made by Mr Bill Ilijoski in May 2017 to have the same unnamed lane named after two long term residents Dennis and Marie Flegg. Mr Ilijoski was advised in June 2017 that the proposal would not progress as it did not meet the Geographical Names Board Guidelines.

 

 

24.    Three recommendations have been put forward by Council staff to name currently unnamed lanes in Beverly Hills to resolve safety concerns with traffic congestion and law enforcement. The basis of the three recommendations is:

 

·    Evans Lane, Beverly Hills – in recognition of Catherine Evans a long term resident of the Dumbleton/Beverly Hills area. Following the death of her husband in 1908, Mrs Evans opened a general store and later a receiving post office, becoming Dumbleton's first postmistress;

·    St James Lane, Beverly Hills – in recognition of the St James Theatre (the contemporary Beverly Hills Event Cinemas) which opened in late 1940; and

·    Horace Lane, Beverly Hills – in recognition of Horace James Cable, who served five consecutive terms as Alderman at Hurstville Council from December 1956 to September 1971.

 

Geographical features

25.    Mortdale Heights - A request was received from Mr John Finneran of Mortdale who made representation on 18 March 2018 to divide and define Mortdale Heights from Mortdale as a stand-alone suburb in recognition that ‘Mortdale and Mortdale Heights have different zoning and are quite different in character’. Advice received from the Geographical Names Board that ‘the creation of a new suburb called Mortdale Heights would be considered by the Board as too similar and therefore rejected. A key principle of suburb creation is establishing an unambiguous address. This means avoiding similar suburb names’. This is in accordance with section 5a(i) of the Georges River Council Place Naming Policy, that requests to re-name roads, reserves, buildings, places or geographical features will generally not be accepted.

 

26.    Pename Rivulet and Future Island - Two requests were received from Mr Chris Rehberg of Lugarno who made representation on 6 November 2017 to name a rivulet in Peakhurst and an island adjacent Lugarno. The basis for naming the rivulet Pename is ‘in recognition of the rivulet, which flows permanently and marks the importance of native bushland in the local area’. The basis for naming the island Future Island is ‘the establishment of mangrove trees which suggests that the area of land is permanently above water and will only increase as these trees grow. Secondly, the word "future" considers the future of waterways and protection of the local environment’. The two titles have no identified local significance or heritage.

Pename Rivulet

Future Island

future-island-extent

 

Financial Implications

27.    There are no budget impacts from this report.

 

Risk Implications

28.    Enterprise risk/s have been identified and appropriate management process have been applied.

 

Community Engagement

29.    Community engagement will be conducted through public exhibition and further consultation regarding the proposed renames with the community.

 

File Reference

D18/214180

 

 

  


Georges River Council –       Community and Culture -  Monday, 3 December 2018                                                     Page 16

Item:                   COM055-18       Sponsorship and Donation Requests 

Author:              Coordinator, Events and Sponsorship

Directorate:      Community and Culture

Matter Type:     Committee Reports

 

 

 

Recommendation

(a) That Council approve the sponsorship request of $594.00 ($594.00 of in-kind support) for the performance of “The Life and Death of King John” presented by Bard on the Beach to be held on the 19 March 2019 at Carss Park.

(b) That Council retrospectively approve a donation request of $230.00 ($230.00 of in-kind support) for the use of public space to Christ Church Anglican for their non-perishable food collection at Morts Road, Mortdale between 19 and 24 November 2018.

(c)  That Council retrospectively approve the sponsorship request of $769.00 ($700.00 financial support and $69.00 of in-kind support) to stage the annual Community Christmas Carol Service presented by St Cuthberts Park Road Anglican Church, South Carlton to be held 9 December 2018.

(d) That Council retrospectively approve the sponsorship request of $2285.00 ($2250.00 financial support and $35.00 of in-kind support) to support the Community Carol event presented by Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, Peakhurst to be held 9 December 2018.

 

 

Executive Summary

1.      Each month Council receives requests from the community to support their events. In accordance with the Grants, Donations and Sponsorship Policy, each application is then assessed using the Policy’s Funding Determination Model and recommendations are made to Council.

2.      Event organisers requesting sponsorship for events being held prior to Council approval have been made aware that their funding request may not be approved and to consider alternate funding sources.

 

Background

3.      On Tuesday 4 September 2018, Council received correspondence from Ms Patricia Rowling from Bard on the Beach. The total sponsorship amount requested and recommended from Council for community-run events for December 2018 is $594.00 ($0.00 total financial support and, $594.00 total in-kind support).

4.     Requested support amount and recommended amount is: $594.00 ($0.00 financial support and $594.00 of in-kind support) which will cover the waiving of site and electrical fees for the event.

5.     On Wednesday 14 November 2018, Council received correspondence from Mr Richard Graves of Christ Church Anglican at Mortdale. The total amount requested and recommended from Council for December 2018 is $230.00 ($0.00 financial support and $230.00 of in-kind support).

6.      Requested support amount and recommended amount is: $230.00 ($0.00 financial support and $230.00 of in-kind support) which will cover the waiving of fees for the use of a public space.

7.      On Saturday 13 October 2018, Council received correspondence from Mr Lyndon Mitchell of St Cuthberts Park Road Anglican Church. The total sponsorship amount requested and recommended from Council for community-run events for December 2018 is $769.00 ($700.00 total financial support and, $69.00 total in-kind support).

8.     Requested support amount and recommended amount is: $769.00 ($700.00 financial support and $69.00 of in-kind support) which will contribute to staging costs for the event.

9.      On Tuesday 20 November 2018, Council received correspondence from Ms Emma Williams of Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church Peakhurst. The total sponsorship amount requested and recommended from Council for community-run events for December 2018 is $2,285.00 ($2,250.00 total financial support and, $35.00 total in-kind support).

10.   Requested support amount and recommended amount is: $2,285.00 ($2,250.00 financial support and $35.00 of in-kind support) which will contribute to staging costs for the event.

11.    A summary of the recommendation is provided below.

 

Organisation

Event Date

Event

Recommended Donation

Recommended

In-kind

Recommended amount

Bard on the Beach

19/03/19

The Life and Death of King John

$0.00

$594.00

$594.00

Christ Church Anglican Church

19-24/03/18

Non-perishable food collection

$0.00

$230.00

$230.00

St Cuthberts Park Road Anglican Church

09/12/18

Christmas Carol Service

$700.00

$69.00

$769.00

Our Lady of Fatima

Catholic Church

09/12/18

Community Carol Event

$2,250.00

$35.00

$2,285.00

TOTAL

$2,950.00

$928.00

$3,878.00

 

An assessment of the sponsorship requests occurred using Council’s Grants, Sponsorship and Donations Policy and the Community Benefit Criteria, Funding Determination Model.

 

Financial Implications

12.    The total financial request for Council’s approval $3,878.00 consisting of:

·        Total in-kind value: $928.00

·        Total financial donation value: $2,950.00

 

2018/19 budget remaining for sponsorship of community-run events: $43,312.00

2018/19 donations budget is overspent by $3,729.00

 

If these sponsorship and donation requests are approved by Council they will be spilt across the two budgets.

 

Risk Implications

13.    Each event satisfies the criteria stated in the Events Strategy and the Grants, Donations and Sponsorship Policy. As part of the original Event Application Form, each event organiser provides and implements a risk assessment for their event.

 

Community Engagement

14.    Community engagement was undertaken in the development of the Grants, Sponsorship and Donations Policy and Events Strategy.

 

File References

D18/137111

 

 

 

 

  


Georges River Council –       Community and Culture -  Monday, 3 December 2018                                                     Page 19

Item:                   COM056-18       Construction of a Library Media Lab at Hurstville Library 

Author:              Manager Library Services

Directorate:      Community and Culture

Matter Type:     Committee Reports

 

 

 

Recommendation

(a) That Council endorse (in-principle) the renovation of Hurstville Library to make available additional space for public use, including the creation of a Media Lab to meet growing demand for creative spaces, technology and learning support subject to securing adequate funding.

(b) That Public Library Infrastructure Grant funds awarded to the former Hurstville City Council in 2014/15 be used to assist with construction and fit-out.

(c)  That Council investigate additional funding sources prior to, and as part of, the 2019/20 budget process.

 

Executive Summary

1.   At the 27 August 2018 Council meeting, Council proposed a ‘Media Lab’ within Georges River Libraries and requested options for the design of the space as well as potential programs and services that could be offered to the community.

 

2.   Public Library Infrastructure Grant funding awarded to Hurstville City Council in 2014/15 is available to be used to co-fund a media lab initiative with Library Council approval.

 

3.   The proposed Media Lab would satisfy Library Council requirements for use of the grant, provide an additional 92.5m2 of multipurpose library space, and offer a range of programs and services designed to meet community demand for technology and learning support.

 

Background

4.    At the 27 August 2018 Council meeting, Council resolved (NM073-18):

(a) That Council investigate the provision of a Media Lab within Georges River Libraries as a digital creation space for the community.

 

(b) That the General Manager prepare a report to the Community and Culture Committee detailing:

 

a.   Potential designs and concepts for a media lab;

b.   Proposed programs and services that could be offered at a media lab including, but not limited, computers, scanners, 3D and regular printers, graphic tablet, video equipment and related software;

c.   Suitable library sites from which to provide a media lab service;

d.   The anticipated timeline for the installation of a media lab; and

e.   The estimated operational and capital costs for the implementation of a media lab. 

(c)  That grant funding sources be explored and reported with the investigation into the media lab services offering.

 

5.      On 10 December 2013, Hurstville City Council approved the utilisation of $1,000,000 of Section 94 funds for the construction and fit-out of meeting rooms and collection storage area within Hurstville Library.

 

6.      In 2014/15 the former Hurstville City Council was awarded a Public Library Infrastructure Grant of $200,000 to assist with the construction and fit-out of a multipurpose space allocated to programming for technology and online resources. A proposal to construct the space within Hurstville Library, in the currently unused courtyard area, was rejected at the 4 July 2016 Council meeting, in which Council resolved (CON007-16):

 

a)   That Council decline to accept any Tender for the Hurstville Library Courtyard Modification and Archive Storage Facility.

 

7.      The Library Council has agreed to consider an alternative proposal for the use of the allocated funds on the condition that the proposal achieves outcomes in line with the original funding agreement.

 

Media Lab concept

8.      Under the amended plans, three multipurpose spaces will be allocated to programming for online resources, technology, and recreational activities. These spaces will be constructed within Hurstville Library, in currently underutilised storage areas. It will increase the overall public library space by approximately 92.5m² (3.5% increase). The three new areas will consist of the following:

a) Area 1: Media Lab - (33.35m2)
The Media Lab will provide access to resources and programs aimed at encouraging users to develop business, technology and creative skills. Resources will include high-end desktop computers with a suite of creative software. A new Lynda.com subscription and a selection of peripheral technology will further remove barriers to access and learning.

b) Area 2: Craft and Coding Space - (19.16m2)
This multipurpose room will provide a dedicated space for the library to expand its Tech Savvy Seniors and Code Club programs, as well support new programs and services adapted to community needs and expectations. A collection of technology such as audio and visual recording equipment, robotics kits, 3D printer and sewing machines will support a range of self-directed and group activities.

 

c)  Area 3: The Mezzanine - (40m2)
The currently unused mezzanine area will be transformed into a multipurpose meeting and events space. Equipped with AV equipment, The Mezzanine will help ease overcrowding during peak periods and increase the library’s programming capacity, including an expanded Satellite Events program.

 


 

Proposed programs and services

9.      Library users will have opportunities to participate in a mix of self-directed and structured programs designed to remove barriers to learning, promote pathways to formal educational opportunities and cultivate a local network of learners and creators. Similar to a ‘Makerspace’, programming will be characterised by a strong DIY ethos and promote hands-on experimentation, innovation, creativity and play. Programs may include:

a) Lynda Learning Lab: As of July 2018, library membership has included free access to thousands of online courses available through Lynda.com, including web design; graphic design; software development; business and project management; photography; 3D animation; audio and video editing. The Lynda Learning Lab will provide access to high-end computers, as well as software and peripheral technologies designed to support self-directed learning through the Lynda.com platform.

b) Code Club: A weekly program for children aged 8-12 years. Participants share ideas and work collaboratively to plan and design games, animations and other projects using the Scratch coding language. The program supports the STEAM curriculum and develops social, critical and creative thinking.

c)  Kids’ Lab: A weekly program for children aged 8 and over. Combining robotics and coding, this program uses collaborative learning and a range of fun activities to support the development of critical thinking skills. Participants of the program plan and design robot commands and interactions using basic coding languages.

d) Create IT: A weekly program for people aged 13 and over. Participants gain access to a range of analog and digital technology available through the media lab, as well as staff support to produce their art, craft, design or multimedia projects. The program aims to foster creative networks and support a ‘start-up’ culture.

e) Boomerang Bags Sewing Bee: Participants meet weekly to create re-useable ‘boomerang bags’ using donated and recycled materials, as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags. The bags are later made available through the library and can be used and reused, or passed on to others in need. This program is designed to support inter-generational contact and peer-learning while stimulating action towards more sustainable lifestyles.

 

f)  Migrant Stories: Delivered in partnership with community organisations, this program provides library users from emerging communities with opportunities to contribute to local culture by recording and sharing their stories. The program is designed to support a co-creation of local history collections while also promoting skills development (e.g. language skills; digital media editing) and strengthening cultural identity and belonging.

 

g) Library Talks: In an effort to increase access to new ideas, the library will seek suitable partners to expand its existing program of Author and Satellite Talks program, which currently includes TEDxSydney Satellite and live-streaming of talks from the Sydney Opera House.

Timeline

10.    As this project is contingent on securing funding, a project timeline is not available, however the amended project will include the following key elements:

a) Consultation and development of building design brief

b) Development of architectural plans and completion of costing process

c)  Construction and fit out

d) Program partner engagement

e) Programing schedule development

f)  Promotion of new facilities and services, including a large-scale launch for library stakeholders.

g) Post-project evaluation and continuous improvement.

 

Financial Implications

 

11.    Additional non-budgeted funds of $128,644 will need to be considered for allocation as part of Council’s 2019/20 budget process.

12.    The State Library of NSW has confirmed that the Public Library Infrastructure Grant of $200,000 can be extended for completion in July 2020.

 

Risk Implications

13. Should appropriate funding not be allocated in the future, Council may risk loss of the State Library of Public Library Infrastructure Grant of $200,000 prior to/in July 2020.

 

Community Engagement

 

14. Community engagement was conducted including: Consultation using co-design sessions was facilitated externally prior to the original project plan. Research found that overcrowding is an issue within Hurstville Library, particularly during peak study and school holiday periods and highlighted multifunctional spaces as a key priority for future designs.

 

15. The research also found that library users have an expectation that technology to facilitate collaboration, communication and learning would be incorporated into new library spaces. (Redrollers Research, August 2013).

 

 

File Reference

D18/263399