Community Development and Services Advisory
Wednesday, 01 November 2017
A Community Development and Services Advisory Committee Meeting will be held at 4.00pm in the River Room, Georges River Civic Centre, corner Dora and MacMahon Streets, Hurstville Wednesday, 01 November 2017 for the consideration of the business available on Council's website at http://www.georgesriver.nsw.gov.au/Council/Council-Meetings.
Director Community and Culture
· Disclosures of Interest
· Agenda Item
Wednesday, 01 November 2017
Community and Culture
COM029-17 Committee Terms of Reference and composition of community representatives
Author: Manager Community & Cultural Development
Directorate: Community and Culture
Matter Type: Community and Culture
(a) That the Community Development and Services Advisory Committee Terms of Reference be received and noted;
(b) That the Terms of Reference be updated to include designated community representatives from the Health, Education and NGO sectors, plus a representative from Council’s Youth Advisory Committee;
(c) That the Committee endorse the composition of interim community representatives appointed for a term of nine (9) months;
(d) That an Expression of Interest be advertised in June 2018 for nominations for community representatives on the Committee to commence in September 2018.
1. The Community Development and Services Advisory Committee will meet bi-monthly to advise on matters relating to community capacity building, social inclusion and cultural development, monitor the changing needs of the community and provide recommendations on how Council is to address these needs, as per the Committee Terms of Reference.
2. Matters will include, but not be limited to, the development and implementation of Council’s programs, policies, services and facilities in the areas of:
· Multicultural services
· Aboriginal services
· Aged services
· Youth services
· Access and inclusion
· Community safety
3. The Committee will comprise voting members, as follows:
· Councillor (Chairperson)
· Representative of local Community Organisation (NGO sector)
· Representative of local Community Organisation (Health sector)
· Representative of local Community Organisation (Education sector)
· Representative of Local Area Command Police
· Representative from Council’s Aboriginal Reference Group
· Representative from Council’s Multicultural Reference Group
· Representative from Council’s Access and Inclusion Reference Group
· Representative from Council’s Youth Advisory Committee (proposed)
4. To ensure a broad representation of sectors within the local community that have an impact on the delivery of Council’s community development functions, it is proposed to target the three (3) representatives from Community Organisations from specific sectors. The three (3) key areas to include are:
· The NGO sector – specifically a not-for-profit organisation that provides a broad range of community services to the Georges River Local Government Area
· The Health sector – nominally a representative of the South Eastern Sydney Local Health District
· The Education sector – nominally a representative from the NSW Secondary Principals Council, TAFE NSW or an active school within the LGA.
5. In addition to the three (3) community reference groups (Aboriginal, Multicultural and Access & Inclusion), Council’s Community Development team facilitates a Youth Advisory Committee. It is proposed to include a representative of the Youth Advisory Committee on the Community Development and Services Advisory Committee.
6. No budget impact for this report.
< Enter Records Reference Number Here >
Terms of Reference - Community Development and Services Advisory Committee