Traffic Committee

Notice of Meeting

 

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

13 April 2017

 

Mr John Rayner

 

A Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting will be held at Kogarah Council Chambers, 2 Belgrave Street, Kogarah on Tuesday, 18 April 2017 at 1:00pm for consideration of the business available on Council's website at http://www.georgesriver.nsw.gov.au/Council/Council-Meetings.

 

 

 

 

 

Gail Connolly

General Manager

 

BUSINESS

1.      Apologies

2.      Confirmation of Minutes of Previous Meeting

3.      Matters Arising from Previous Meeting

4.      Disclosures of Interest

5.      Agenda Items

6.      General Business

7.      Next meeting Tuesday, 16 May 2017 at 1.00pm

 


Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting

Summary of Items

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Previous Minutes

MINUTES: Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - 21 March 2017

Agenda Items

TAC033-17       Austral Street, Penshurst - Proposed Modification to "Bus Zone" - UBD 293 D5

(Report by Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft)..................................................................... 2

TAC034-17       Chapel Street, Kogarah - Proposed Parking Changes - UBD 294 H6

(Report by Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft)..................................................................... 5

TAC035-17       Ocean Street, Kogarah - Proposed "No Parking" zone - UBD 294 F6

(Report by Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay)........................................ 7

TAC036-17       Thurlow Street Riverwood Parking

(Report by Senior Traffic Engineer, Shereny Selim)............................................... 9

TAC037-17       Penshurst Lane Penshurst - Road Safety concerns

(Report by Senior Traffic Engineer, Shereny Selim)............................................. 12

TAC038-17       Endeavour Street, Sans Souci - Proposed parking changes - UBD 314 F2

(Report by Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay)...................................... 15

TAC039-17       Montgomery Street, Kogarah - Proposed Changes to Police Parking - UBD 294 H4

(Report by Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft).................................................................. 18

TAC040-17       Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove - Proposed 15 Minute Parking - UBD 293 G10

(Report by Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay)...................................... 21

TAC041-17       Currawang Street, Carss Park  - Proposed Parking Changes - UBD 294 A12

(Report by Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft).................................................................. 23

TAC042-17       2017 Lugarno Lions Festival - Gannons Park, Peakhurst

(Report by Traffic Engineer, Ben Liddell)................................................................ 26

TAC043-17       Bayside Drive Lugarno - Request for No Parking around cul de sac

(Report by Senior Traffic Engineer, Shereny Selim)............................................. 29

TAC044-17       Railway Parade, Carlton - Proposed extension of "No Stopping" zone - UBD 294 C7

(Report by Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay)...................................... 31

 

 

 

TAC045-17       Oatley Park, Oatley - Request for Pedestrian and Cyclist Linemarking

(Report by Traffic Engineer, Ben Liddell)................................................................ 33   

 


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 1

 

AGENDA

1.      Apologies 

2.      Confirmation of Minutes of Previous Meeting

Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - 21 March 2017

3.      Matters Arising from Previous Meeting

4.      Disclosure of Interest


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 2

5.      Agenda Items

 

Item:                   TAC033-17        Austral Street, Penshurst - Proposed Modification to "Bus Zone" - UBD 293 D5 

Author:              Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the existing 30m “Bus Zone” on the southern side of Austral Street, Penshurst adjacent to number 39, be reduced in length to 25m, as shown on plan L711 attached to the report.

 

Executive Summary

 

1.      This report seeks the Committee’s consideration of the proposed reduction in length of the “Bus Zone” in Austral Street, Penshurst.

Background

 

2.      Council has received a request from a local resident to consider modifying the length of the “Bus Zone” on the southern side of Austral Street, adjacent to number 39, to allow more unrestricted parking in the street.

3.      Currently there is a 30m “Bus Zone” in this location that has a 10m driveway before the zone and a 5m driveway after the zone.  As a result, the bus has 45m of manoeuvring area and the resident has requested that the area be reviewed to determine if the zone can be shortened to allow more vehicles to park in the street.

 

4.      The resident also requested that the “Bus Zone” include timings to allow people to park in this area when the bus is not in operation.  As Punchbowl Bus Routes 943, 944 and 945 operate from 6:15am – 10:15pm weekdays, 7:50am – 7pm Saturdays and 9:10am – 6:20pm Sundays, the inclusion of timing on the “Bus Zone” is not supported by Punchbowl Bus Company.

Proposal

5.      Upon investigation of this request, it is proposed to reduce the length of the existing 30m “Bus Zone” to 25m that would allow a vehicle to park unrestricted between the start of the “Bus Zone” and the driveway to number 39 Austral Street, whilst still allowing enough room for the bus to stop parallel to the kerb.

 

6.      Punchbowl Bus Company has been consulted on the proposal and is in support of the proposed change.

 

Financial Implications

 

7.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $200.

 

File Reference

17/39613

 

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

Plan L711 - Austral Street, Penshurst

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC033-17           Austral Street, Penshurst - Proposed Modification to "Bus Zone" - UBD 293 D5

[Appendix 1]         Plan L711 - Austral Street, Penshurst

 

 

Page 4

 

PDF Creator


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 5

Item:                   TAC034-17        Chapel Street, Kogarah - Proposed Parking Changes - UBD 294 H6 

Author:              Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the existing 25m “1/4P, 6am – 6pm Mon – Fri” zone on the northern side of Chapel Street, Kogarah be converted to “1/2P, 6am – 6pm Mon – Fri”, as shown on plan TC1588 attached to the report.

 

Executive Summary

 

1.      This report seeks the Committee’s consideration of the proposed changes to the parking times on the northern side of Chapel Street, Kogarah.

 

Background

 

2.      Council has received a request from a resident to investigate the parking control signs in Chapel Street, Kogarah near St George Public Hospital.

3.      The resident has indicated to Council that people parking in the “1/4P” zone on the northern side of Chapel Street have an insufficient time to access the nearby Hospital and medical premises in Chapel Street.

Proposal

4.      Upon investigation of this request, it is proposed to convert the existing 25m “1/4P, 6am – 6pm Mon – Fri” zone on the northern side of Chapel Street, Kogarah to “1/2P, 6am – 6pm Mon – Fri”.  This would provide drivers a longer time to park and walk their passengers to the nearby medical premises.

 

Financial Implications

 

5.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $150.

 

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

Plan TC1588 - Chapel Street, Kogarah

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC034-17           Chapel Street, Kogarah - Proposed Parking Changes - UBD 294 H6

[Appendix 1]         Plan TC1588 - Chapel Street, Kogarah

 

 

Page 6

 

PDF Creator


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 7

Item:                   TAC035-17        Ocean Street, Kogarah - Proposed "No Parking" zone - UBD 294 F6 

Author:              Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay

 

Recommendation

(a)     That a 26m “No Parking” zone be installed on the southern side of Ocean Street, Kogarah as shown on the plan TC1577 attached to the report.

 

Executive Summary

1.      This report seeks the Committee’s consideration for the proposed installation of a 26m “No Parking” zone to be installed on the southern side of Ocean Street, Kogarah

 

Background

2.      A request has been received from a resident of Ocean Street to consider changes to the parking restrictions across the driveways to properties on the southern side of Ocean Street, Kogarah.

 

Comments

3.      Following investigations by Council officers, it was witnessed that vehicles were parking across driveways, blocking access to properties. It is proposed to install a 26m “No Parking” zone to formalise this restriction.

 

4.      The residents in this vicinity have been notified by letter of the proposed “No Parking” zone on the southern side of Ocean Street.  The closing date for submissions was Friday, 24th March 2017. No objections were received.

 

Financial Implications

5.      Within budget allocation. – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $300

 

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

TC1577 - Ocean Street, Kogarah

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC035-17           Ocean Street, Kogarah - Proposed "No Parking" zone - UBD 294 F6

[Appendix 1]         TC1577 - Ocean Street, Kogarah

 

 

Page 8

 


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 9

Item:                   TAC036-17        Thurlow Street Riverwood Parking  

Author:              Senior Traffic Engineer, Shereny Selim

 

Recommendation

a)   THAT the existing ‘½P, 8.30am-6.30PM, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm Sat’ parking restriction along the southern side of Thurlow Street, between the Loading Zone and the No Stopping be changed to a ‘15 minutes, 8.30am-9pm Mon-Sun’ restriction.

b)   THAT the existing 90 degree ‘½P 8.30am- 6.30PM, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm Sat’ parking restriction along the northern side of Thurlow Street, Riverwood be retained without any changes.

 

Executive Summary

 

1.      This report is to advise the committee of the outcome of a site meeting between Council, Club River’s CEO and Thurlow Street business owners in regards to changes to parking restrictions in Thurlow Street, Riverwood.

 

Background

2.   In December 2016 the traffic advisory committee considered a request from shop owners along the southern side of Thurlow Street, requesting Council to consider changing the existing ½ P restrictions near their shops to 15-minute parking to allow for quick turnover of parking for their customers.

3.   The business owners had advised Council that their businesses are suffering due to lack of available parking spaces in the vicinity of their shops which results in their customers driving away to other shopping strips.

4.   Currently, the following parking restrictions apply along the northern side of Thurlow Street:

a.   5 x ½ P restriction from 8.30am- 6.30PM, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm Sat,

b.   6 x 2P restriction from 8.30am-6.30pm, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm Sat

c.   18 unrestricted parking spaces

d.   2 disabled parking spaces.

All above parking spaces are oriented as 90 degree angle parking.

5.      Along the southern side of Thurlow Street directly outside the shops, there is a Bus Zone, followed by a Loading Zone, followed by a 23m long ‘½ P restriction  8.30am-6.30pm, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm, Sat’ restriction. This restriction is directly outside the frontage of Club Rivers.

6.      The businesses in the area advised Council that due to their close proximity to Club Rivers the short term parking around their businesses is highly coveted by club patrons, in particular those with mobility parking permit, which current state legislation allows them to park within a ½ P zone for up to 2 hours, rendering the purpose of the quick turnover of the ½ P parking ineffective.

7.      Accordingly the business owners have requested that Council change the ½ P parking restriction along the northern side of Thurlow Street and the ½ P parking restriction along the southern side of Thurlow Street to ¼ P and extend the hours of the restriction up to 9pm from Monday to Sunday to stop drivers with ‘Mobility (disability) Parking Permits’ parking in the ½ P zones for long periods.

 

8.   The Manager of Club Rivers was consulted in regards to the proposed changes and he was not in support of the proposed change, especially for the spaces outside the entrance to the club on Thurlow Street. He has advised that the proposed changes will affect the patrons of the club that use these spaces.

 

9.   The traffic advisory committee after considering all the above information recommended

 

a.      THAT the existing ‘½P, 8.30am-6.30PM, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm Sat’ parking restriction along the southern side of Thurlow Street, between the Loading Zone and the No Stopping be changed to a ‘15 minutes, 8.30am-9pm Mon-Sun’ restriction.

b.      THAT 5 of the existing 90 degree ‘½ P 8.30am- 6.30PM, Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12.30pm Sat’ parking restriction along the northern side of Thurlow Street, Riverwood be changed to a ‘15 minutes, 8.30am-9pm Mon-Sun’ parking zone.

c.      THAT delegated authority be given to the Director of Assets and Infrastructure to allow the implementation of these changes before the Christmas shutdown.

 

10. The Traffic Section utilised the delegated authority given by the traffic committee above to change the ½ P restrictions along the southern side of Thurlow Street to ¼ P before the Christmas/ New Year’s break in 2016/2017.

 

11. Council, however, in its meeting in February 2017 did not adopt the traffic committee’s recommendation due to Club Rivers objection to the changes and instead resolved;

That TAC096-16 Thurlow Street Riverwood be referred back to the Georges River Traffic Advisory Committee for further consideration following representations and submissions from business owners and Club Rivers representatives.

12. To satisfy Council’s resolution a site meeting between Club Rivers CEO, Council’s staff and other businesses in the area was carried out where all opinions in favour and against the parking changes was discussed and considered. 

 

13. The small business owners explained to Club Rivers CEO their frustration with losing   customers due to lack of short term parking for their customers to utilise, while Club Rivers CEO explained his situation in regards to the complaints and strong objections he has been receiving from patrons of the club that can no longer park directly outside the club for 2 hours with their mobility parking permit.

 

14. After long liaison between the three parties, it was finally agreed that the ½ P restriction along the southern side of Thurlow Street between the Loading Zone and the No Stopping should be ¼ P restriction from 8.30am-9pm Mon-Sun, however no changes is to be made to the ½ P restriction along the northern side of Thurlow Street.

 

Financial Implications

 

15. No budget impact for this report.

 

File Reference

D16/140184

 

 

 

 

  


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 12

Item:                   TAC037-17        Penshurst Lane Penshurst - Road Safety concerns  

Author:              Senior Traffic Engineer, Shereny Selim

 

Recommendation

(a) That a rubber speed hump be installed in Penshurst Lane, approximately 5m west of the existing pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Penshurst Lane and Penshurst Street, Penshurst.

 

Executive Summary

1.   This report seeks the Committee’s consideration to install 1 x rubber speed hump in Penshurst Lane, Penshurst.

 

Background

 

2.   Council received representation from Mr Mark Coure, MP, Member for Oatley on behalf of one of his constituents requesting that Council consider installing traffic calming devices along Penshurst Lane, Penshurst.

3.   Mr Coure’s constituent advised that motorists often fail to slow down to give way to pedestrians, as motorists leave or enter Penshurst Lane.

 

4.   It is advised that Penshurst Lane is accessed from the southern end of Penshurst Street, near its intersection with Bridge Street and curves north to end in a no through configuration. It measures approximately 100m in length and approximately 4.5m in width.

 

5.   Penshurst Lane facilitates access to the back of 10 businesses along Penshurst Street as well as other businesses located along Penshurst Lane itself, with the subject laneway being their only access.

 

6.   To ascertain the constituent’s concerns, traffic counts were carried out in Penshurst Lane, the results of which are shown in the table below.

 

 

7.   As can be seen from the above counts there is no speeding concerns in Penshurst Lane.

 

8.   Furthermore, it is advised that the pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Penshurst Lane and Penshurst Street is raised to act as a traffic calming device.

 

9.   To ascertain road safety concerns raised by the resident, the Roads and Maritime Service accident data were reviewed for the 5-year period between January 2012 and December 2015 and no accidents were recorded within the intersection of Penshurst Lane and Penshurst Street.

 

10. However in light of the fact that this subject location is heavily utilised by all road users including pedestrians, buses and motorists, it is considered appropriate to install a rubber speed hump in Penshurst Lane, approximately 5m west of the existing pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Penshurst Lane and Penshurst Street, Penshurst to force motorists to come to a complete stop before approaching the crossing.

 

 

 

Financial Implications

11.    Within budget allocation. Estimated Cost $2,500

 

File Reference

D16/150214

 

 

 

  


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 14

Item:                   TAC038-17        Endeavour Street, Sans Souci - Proposed parking changes - UBD 314 F2 

Author:              Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the existing “Disabled Parking Only” zone on the northern side of Endeavour Street adjacent to Sans Souci Public School, Sans Souci, be extended to 14m, as shown on the plan TC1581 attached to the report.

(b)     That the existing 30m “Bus Zone” be relocated adjacent to the intersection of The Boulevarde and Endeavour Street, Sans Souci, and be changed to a 20m “Bus Zone, 2.30pm – 4.00pm, School Days”.

(c)     That a 21m “No Parking, 8.00am – 9.30am, 2.30pm – 4.00pm, School Days” zone, be installed on the northern side of Endeavour Street adjacent to Sans Souci Public School, Sans Souci.

 

Executive Summary

1.      This report seeks the Committee’s consideration for the proposed extension of the existing “Disabled Parking Only” zone to 14m, the relocation of the existing 30m “Bus Zone” to a 20 “Bus Zone, 2.30pm – 4.00pm, School Days”, and the installation of a 21m “No Parking, 8.00am – 9.30am, 2.30pm – 4.00pm, School Days” zone.

Background

2.      A request has been received from a parent of a pupil attending Sans Souci Public School to consider extending the existing “Disabled Parking Only” zone on the northern side of Endeavour Street, Sans Souci, due to increasing demand.

Comments

3.      Following investigations by Council officers, it was found that the existing “Bus Zone” only services an afternoon school service operated by State Transit Authority (STA). It was also noted the high amount of congestion during school pick-up and drop-off times at the existing area on The Boulevard.

4.      It is proposed to relocate the existing 30m “Bus Zone” to be adjacent to the intersection of The Boulevard and Endeavour Street and be a 20m “Bus Zone, 2.30pm – 4.00pm, School Days”. Further it is proposed to install a 21m “No Parking, 8.00am – 9.30am, 2.30pm – 4.00pm, School Days” zone and extend the existing “Disabled Parking Only” zone to 14m.

5.      Sans Souci Public School and STA have been notified by letter of the proposed parking changes on the northern side of Endeavour Street. The closing date for submissions was Friday, 24th March 2017. No objections were received.

 

Financial Implications

6.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $500

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

TC1581 - Endeavour Street, Sans Souci

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC038-17           Endeavour Street, Sans Souci - Proposed parking changes - UBD 314 F2

[Appendix 1]         TC1581 - Endeavour Street, Sans Souci

 

 

Page 15

 


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 16

Item:                   TAC039-17        Montgomery Street, Kogarah - Proposed Changes to Police Parking - UBD 294 H4 

Author:              Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft

 

Recommendation

(a)     That 12m of the existing “1P, 8:30am – 6pm Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 12:30pm Sat” zone on the northern side of Montgomery Street be converted to “No Stopping, Police Vehicles Excepted”.

(b)     The 6m “No Parking, Sheriffs Vehicles Excepted” zone on the southern side of Montgomery Street be converted to “No Stopping, Police Vehicles Excepted”.

(c)     That 6m of the existing “1P, 8:30am – 6pm Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 12:30pm Sat” zone on the southern side of Montgomery Street, be converted to “No Parking, Sheriffs Vehicles Excepted”, as shown on plan TC1589 attached to the report.

 

 

Executive Summary

 

1.      This report seeks the Committee’s consideration of the proposed parking changes in Montgomery Street, Kogarah.

Background

 

2.      Council has received a request from a representative of St George Police to investigate the feasibility of creating additional parking spaces in Montgomery Street in close proximity to the Police Station for their response vehicles.

Proposal

3.      Upon investigation of this request, Council is proposing the following changes to assist the Police response vehicles to park closer to St George Police Station:

·    12m of the existing “1P, 8:30am – 6pm Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 12:30pm Sat” zone on the northern side of Montgomery Street be converted to “No Stopping, Police Vehicles Excepted”;

·    The 6m “No Parking, Sheriffs Vehicles Excepted” zone on the southern side of Montgomery Street be converted to “No Stopping, Police Vehicles Excepted”; and

·    6m of the existing “1P, 8:30am – 6pm Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 12:30pm Sat” zone on the southern side of Montgomery Street, be converted to “No Parking, Sheriffs Vehicles Excepted”.

 

Financial Implications

 

4.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $500.

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

Plan TC1589 - Montgomery Street, Kogarah

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC039-17           Montgomery Street, Kogarah - Proposed Changes to Police Parking - UBD 294 H4

[Appendix 1]         Plan TC1589 - Montgomery Street, Kogarah

 

 

Page 17

 

PDF Creator


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 18

Item:                   TAC040-17        Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove - Proposed 15 Minute Parking - UBD 293 G10 

Author:              Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay

 

Recommendation

(a)     That an 8m “1/4P, 8am-10am, 2pm-4pm, Mon-Fri” zone be installed on the southern side of Hampton Street, adjacent to Hurstville Grove Kindergarten.

 

Executive Summary

1.      This report seeks the Committees consideration for the proposed installation of a “1/4P” zone in Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove.

 

Background

2.      Council has received a request from Hurstville Grove Kindergarten to investigate the feasibility of installing an 18m “1/4P” parking zone in Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove to assist in the pick-up and drop-off of children at the kindergarten.

Community Consultation

3.   The residents in the vicinity have been notified by letter of the proposed installation of a 18m “1/4P, 8am-10am, 2pm-4pm, Mon-Fri” zone on the southern side of Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove. The closing date for submission was Friday 24th March 2017.

4.   Two objections were received to the proposal stating that any parking restrictions should not impact on adjacent properties to Hurstville Grove Kindergarten. As a results of this feedback it is alternatively proposed to install an 8m “1/4P, 8am-10am, 2pm-4pm, Mon-Fri” zone on the southern side of Hampton Street adjacent to Hurstville Grove Kindergarten, Hurstville Grove.

Financial Implications

5.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $300

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

TC1583 - Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC040-17           Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove - Proposed 15 Minute Parking - UBD 293 G10

[Appendix 1]         TC1583 - Hampton Street, Hurstville Grove

 

 

Page 19

 


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 20

Item:                   TAC041-17        Currawang Street, Carss Park  - Proposed Parking Changes - UBD 294 A12 

Author:              Traffic Engineer, Paul Croft

 

Recommendation

(a)     That 11.5m of the existing 17m “1/2P, 8.30am – 6pm Mon – Fri, 8.30am – 12.30pm Sat” zone on the southern side of Currawang Street, be converted to unrestricted parking, as shown on plan TC1587 attached to the report.

 

Executive Summary

 

1.      This report seeks the Committee’s consideration of the proposed parking restriction modification in Currawang Street, Carss Park.

Background

 

2.      At the December 2016 meeting of the Traffic Advisory Committee, it was approved to install a “1/2P” zone on the southern side of Currawang Street to allow short term parking for three (3) vehicles near the shops.

3.      This zone was installed in mid-February and Council has recently received requests from local residents to consider reducing the length of this zone to one (1) vehicle to provide two (2) unrestricted car spaces for residents and their visitors in this location.

 

Proposal

 

4.      Upon investigation of these requests, it is proposed to convert 11.5m of the existing “1/2P, 8.30am – 6pm Mon – Fri, 8.30am – 12.30pm Sat” zone to unrestricted parking.  This would retain a single car space zoned as “1/2P”.

 

5.      The residents and businesses in this vicinity have been notified by letter of the proposed changes to the parking zone.  The closing date for submissions was 7 April 2017.  Council received one letter of objection from a resident.

 

6.      The objection related to the lack of short term parking spaces for the businesses along Carwar Avenue and the resident objected to the removal of two (2) of the short-term spaces.  The businesses in this location that require short-term parking include a newsagent and a bottle shop.  Inspections by Council staff throughout the day indicated that the three (3) existing spaces in Currawang Street are under-utilised and on the majority of inspections there was only one (1) vehicle in the “1/2P” zone. At the December 2016 Traffic Advisory Committee meeting, the members also approved Council’s proposal to install a “1/2P” zone on the southern side of Carwar Avenue that can be utilised by patrons of the newsagent and bottle shop.

 

7.      It is deemed that the “1/2P” space on Carwar Avenue and the proposed “1/2P” space on Currawang Street are sufficient for the existing businesses.

 

Financial Implications

 

8.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $200.

 

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

Plan TC1587 - Currawang Street, Carss Park

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC041-17           Currawang Street, Carss Park  - Proposed Parking Changes - UBD 294 A12

[Appendix 1]         Plan TC1587 - Currawang Street, Carss Park

 

 

Page 22

 

PDF Creator


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 23

Item:                   TAC042-17        2017 Lugarno Lions Festival - Gannons Park, Peakhurst 

Author:              Traffic Engineer, Ben Liddell

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the following temporary traffic control measures be implemented on Sunday 17 September, 2017 to facilitate the 2017 Lugarno Lions Spring Festival at Gannons Park, Peakhurst:

1.      Install a temporary "No Right Turn" restriction on Forest Road at Boatwright Avenue, Peakhurst to restrict westbound traffic on Boatwright Avenue from turning right into Forest Road, Peakhurst.

2.      Install a temporary "No Right Turn" restriction on Isaac Street at Pindari Road, Peakhurst to restrict northbound traffic on Pindari Road from turning right into Isaac Street, Peakhurst.

3.      Install a temporary "No stopping" restriction in Boatwright Avenue from Forest Road to the southern side of the main entrance of Gannons Park, Lugarno.

4.      Install a temporary "No Parking" restriction on both sides of Boatwright Avenue, Bottlebrush Avenue and Ernest Street, Lugarno to clear on-street parking in these streets to improve traffic flow in the area.

5.      Install a temporary "No Stopping" restriction in Isaac Street from Forest Road to Pindari Road, Peakhurst.

6.      Install temporary “No Parking” signs on the eastern side of Jindabyne Cres, from the intersection of Pindari Road, Peakhurst Heights to the intersection of Whitegates Avenue, Peakhurst Heights.

7.      That bus operators be notified of the proposed traffic management measures.

8.      That a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) be submitted to the Police for the    proposed traffic management measures.

 

(b)       Further that Lugarno Lions Club be advised of Council’s Decision.

 

Executive Summary

1.         Council has received representations from the Lions Club of Lugarno, advising that the Lugarno Lions Spring Festival at Gannons Park, Peakhurst will be held on Sunday, 17 September 2017. To facilitate this event, the Lions Club of Lugarno has requested Council's approval to establish a number of traffic control measures to regulate traffic flow on the adjoining road network during the event.

 

Background

2.         Lugarno Lions Spring Festival is an annual event organised by the Lions Club of Lugarno during early spring each year. Last year this event attracted in excess of 45,000 people and the traffic was managed with no reported incidents with the assistance of the Hurstville SES and Police.

3.         Once more this year, Lugarno Lions Club has advised that Hurstville SES Controller, Ms Cherie Smith will supervise the SES crew in providing all traffic management and parking, both on and off the park.

4.         To relieve the traffic congestion on the eastern side of the park, Lugarno Lions Club requested to make the eastern side of Jindabyne Crescent “No parking” from Pindari Road in a southerly direction to the intersection of Whitegates Avenue and open the Jindabyne Crescent gate to the bike track, as a public parking entry point to the middle portion of Gannons Park. This was implemented last year with great success.

5.         Last year, the event’s organisers used the middle portion of Gannons Park between Ernest St and Kara Lane to accommodate public parking by utilising four St. George Community Transport buses to transport people to and from the upper park. Parking entry was via Boatwright Avenue with exit via Ernest Street and Bottlebrush Avenue, which helped in keeping impact on parking in the surrounding streets to a minimum. This was implemented successfully last year and accordingly it is recommended to adopt the same strategy this year.

6.         The event organisers have advised that they will uncover the signs on the morning of 17 September 2017 and request Council to remove the signs on the morning of 18 September 2017.

7.         The event organisers anticipate to have approximately twenty (20) SES volunteers to assist management of traffic on the park and eleven (11) Lions Club Members to oversee and co-ordinate traffic flow.

8.         The event organisers have requested Hurstville Police to provide random patrol of the park on the Saturday night and the same level of public control on the park on the Sunday as in previous years. If necessary, Police were also requested to control traffic at the roundabout at the intersection of Isaac Street and Forest Road, between 6am and 9am.

9.         The event’s organisers are introducing multiple traffic entry lanes via Grandviews Lane onto the park to cope with the initial influx of traffic onto the park between 5.30 am and 8.30 am. It is considered this will distribute car movements and minimise traffic. Accordingly the SES volunteers and the other volunteers (Club Members) will be involved in managing traffic in the start-up of the festival and its ongoing management during the day.

10.       The Lions Club have previously run this successfully and have had adequate traffic contingencies to handle the traffic influx to the area and are confident that there will be minimal problems experienced with the pre-planning and layout design for the Spring Festival.

11.       The SES will have multiple hand held radios at all points of the Park which will provide quick communication updates on traffic flow movements and will allow organisers to deploy adequate resources to resolve any issues at hand in and around the park.

 

 

 

Financial Implications

12.    Within budget allocation. Estimated cost of works is $1000

 

File Reference

D16/47395  


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 26

Item:                   TAC043-17        Bayside Drive Lugarno - Request for No Parking around cul de sac 

Author:              Senior Traffic Engineer, Shereny Selim

 

Recommendation

(a)     THAT 20m of “No Parking” be installed around the cul de sac end of Bayside Drive, Lugarno.

 

Executive Summary

 

1.   This report seeks the Committee’s consideration for the installation of a “No Parking” restriction in Bayside Drive Lugarno.

Background

 

2.   Council received representation from a resident living at 19 Bayside Drive Lugarno requesting that Council consider installing a “No Parking” restriction at the cul de sac end of Bayside Drive, Lugarno to allow for easier ingress into his property.

3.   The resident advised that the off street parking to his property is accessed via a 27m long driveway from the cul de sac end of Bayside Drive, Lugarno.

 

4.   The resident further advised that on many occasions visitors of nearby residents would park around the cul de sac hindering access to his driveway and preventing vehicles and garbage trucks from utilising the turning circle to safely turn around.

 

5.   Accordingly the resident has requested that No Parking be installed around the cul de sac to ameliorate the problem of cars blocking the resident’s entrance to his driveway.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Financial Implications

6.      Within budget allocation. Estimated cost of $250

 

File Reference

D17/50597

 

 

 

  


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 28

Item:                   TAC044-17        Railway Parade, Carlton - Proposed extension of "No Stopping" zone - UBD 294 C7 

Author:              Assistant Traffic Engineer, Samuel Lindsay

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the existing “No Stopping” zone on the northern side of Railway Parade, adjacent to the intersection of Garfield Street, Carlton, be extended by 8m.

 

Executive Summary

1.      This report seeks the Committees consideration for the proposed extension of the existing “No Stopping” zone on Railway Parade, adjacent to Garfield Street, Carlton.

 

Background

2.      Council has received a request from a resident to investigate the current parking restrictions on the northern side of Railway Parade, near the intersection of Garfield Street.

Comments

3.      Following investigations by Council officers it was found that if a vehicle travelling east on Railway Parade, wanted to turn South onto Garfield Street, it will impede the traffic flow along Railway Parade. It is therefore proposed to extend the existing “No Stopping” zone by 8m to allow for vehicles to travel unimpeded along Railway Parade when a vehicle is waiting to turn right onto Garfield Street, Carlton.

 

Financial Implications

4.      Within budget allocation – RMS’s Traffic Facility Grant – approximately $200

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

TC1590 - Railway Parade, Carlton

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC044-17           Railway Parade, Carlton - Proposed extension of "No Stopping" zone - UBD 294 C7

[Appendix 1]         TC1590 - Railway Parade, Carlton

 

 

Page 29

 


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 30

Item:                   TAC045-17        Oatley Park, Oatley - Request for Pedestrian and Cyclist Linemarking 

Author:              Traffic Engineer, Ben Liddell

 

Recommendation

(a)     That the request to install speed humps within Oatley Park be denied.

(b)     That pedestrian and cyclist line marking be installed throughout Oatley Park, Oatley as per the attached plans.

(c)     Further that the resident be advised of Council’s decision.

 

Executive Summary

1.      This report seeks the committee’s approval to install pedestrian and cyclist line marking throughout Oatley Park to improve pedestrian safety.

 

Background

2.      Council has received representation from an Oatley resident requesting the installation of speed humps within certain sections of Oatley Park to reduce the speed of cyclists using the park for training.

3.      The resident has concerns regarding cyclists who use the circuit for exercise that travel at speeds above the posted speed limit of 20 km/h. The resident believes that cyclists may get to speeds of 60 km/h.

4.      Accordingly the resident is asking council to consider installing speed humps or removable speed humps in steep and narrow sections of the park to slow cyclists down.

5.      Oatley Park and the roads within the park are owned and maintained by Georges River Council. The roads within the park have a 20 km/h speed limit and the circuit is one-way for vehicles only.

6.      The sealed roads vary in width from 3 metres to >6 metres. There is approximately 4 kilometres of sealed roads within the park.

7.      The roads are used daily by motorists, cyclists and pedestrians for recreational use and by the St George Cycling Club as a training circuit.

8.      To address concerns raised by the resident, council is proposing to install pedestrian and cyclist line marking throughout the park. The aim of the line marking is to separate the pedestrians from the cyclists.

9.      In the wider sections of road, council is proposing to install a 3 metre wide car travel lane, a 1.5 metre wide bicycle lane and the remaining (varies - approx. 1.5 metres) marked as pedestrian use only. Motorists and cyclist can only travel in one direction. 

10.    In the narrower sections of road, council is proposing to provide half the road width to cyclist and half to pedestrians. Motorists will drive up the centre of the roadway. Motorists and cyclist can only travel in one direction.

11.    Pedestrian, cyclist and arrow symbol will be marked as per the RMS NSW Bicycle Guidelines. A continuous separation line is preferred over the broken centre line to reinforce the separation of pedestrian and cyclist.

12.    Similar line marking treatments have been successfully installed within Parramatta Park.

 

Financial Implications

13.    Estimated cost is $22,000

 

File Reference

D16/141500

 

 

 

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment View1

Oatley Park, Oatley - Proposed Line Marking Plans

 


Georges River Council - Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting - Tuesday, 18 April 2017

TAC045-17           Oatley Park, Oatley - Request for Pedestrian and Cyclist Linemarking

[Appendix 1]         Oatley Park, Oatley - Proposed Line Marking Plans

 

 

Page 32

 


 


 


 


 

   


Georges River Council – Traffic Advisory Committee Meeting -  Tuesday, 18 April 2017                                              Page 37

6.      General Business

7.      Next Meeting – Tuesday, 16 May 2017 at 1.00pm